Welcome to the Rocrail Area
Rocrail Basic is free software for controlling model trains und runs natively1) on the following platforms:
Rocrail assumes all responsibilities for controlling a model railroad and their accessories. Trains can be either manually controlled or completely controlled by the software in automatic mode. A mixed operation, i.e. controlling some trains manually and other trains in fully automatic mode is possible.
With Rocrail different applications for a model train control can be met:
- Simply as a Dispatcher Panel for manually operating an analog or digital train
- or continuous digital operations, semiautomatic, or based on schedules or Automatic as well as
- control of car systems, ambient lighting systems (weather, time of day simulation) and other accessories
Various user interfaces to operate Rocrail are available:
- Rocview - the standard user interface, installed with Rocrail and based on the library
- andRoc - for Android based devices
- Rocweb - WEB client for all (also mobile) devices
- WIO-Control - ESP32 based WiFi throttle
On a layout multiple instances of these user interfaces can be deployed, at the same time. The displays are automatically synchronized between all user interfaces.
In addition, commercially available or homemade hand controllers can also be used.
The user interface is available in many Languages : List of supported languages.
Internet of Things
Rocrail is IoT ready, and can be integrated.
Rocrail - Quick-Start
Are you new to Rocrail? This guide shows the first basic steps and contexts for a successful start with Rocrail.
Rocrail News: outstanding new Features
- Shunting mode and shunting routes: Rocrail offers the opportunity to define different permissions, speed, etc. for shunting. Shunting routes are shown by different color (blue) in the operational plan view.
- Realtime-simulation in virtual mode: Rocrail calculates the real running time of a train by defined speed and length information.
Rocrail - Highlights
- Immediate reaction to feature requests or error reports, from the developing team Forum
- Exchange experiences in forum with direct contact to developers and users Forum
- Freely definable actions Actions, which are triggered by configurable events and associations
- With the use of scripting XMLScript; realize any specific functions and logic operations
- During operation, locomotives learn in each block Block Brake Timer the optimal braking curve
- Support for all major operating systems: Linux, Apple macOS, Microsoft Windows and Raspberry Pi
- Client / server concept with integration of mobile hand held controllers
- Rocweb a Browser-based client without any installation on any mobile devices and operating systems
- Extensive support for common Command Stations, including DIY projects
- Free choice of language of the graphical user interface (GUI). If necessary, these languages can be expanded
- One can use as many independent and different command stations simultaneously as needed
- Random route selection or automatic target search using drag & drop
- Finder option Finder allows automatic searching of routes and "home" location for locomotives
- Train-mass simulation to realize a load-dependent acceleration performance
- Schedule operation with multifarious configuration dependencies and time models
- Support of Modular layout by dividing the track layout across multiple plans and clients
- Block / routes permissions by parameters such as era, train length, engine type etc.
- Priority and reservation system to avoid getting bogged down in random or automatic mode
- Freely definable dynamic text output for the control of sound programs or external text displays
- Weather simulation with real or model time support, for a broad range of different systems
- Freely adjustable user defined symbols for the Layout themes, finished themes are available for many countries
- Realistic switchboard function with start / finish button control
- Support Car-System with specially optimized functions
- Integrated Digital Direct Central Station DCC232
Rocrail - Documentation
A user manual with a complete up-to-date description of all the functionality in Rocrail.
Rocrail - Community
- There is a Forum, where users of Rocrail can ask questions, get answers from other users or simply exchange experiences on using Rocrail.
- The main language in the forum is English. Everyone is welcome in this international community.
- Due to the number of German-speaking users, there is also a German-language forum, as well as Dutch, French and Italian
- User days are at present regularly organized, in Germany, the Netherlands and Austria
The whole team hopes that all users have fun and joy with the software. The entire Rocrail team is looking forward to any form of active and constructive participation in the project.
We are always interested in the opinion of users and welcome your feedback in Rocrail-Forum.
Rocrail - Software und DIY Hardware
- The software supports not only many commercialized Central Stations but also DIY projects.
- GCA Hardware is developed without SMD and therefore easy to assemble.
- Professional boards and kits can be ordered at a fair price: GCA
Rocrail - Trademark
The name "Rocrail" and the associated logo is our trademark.
Both are officially registered in Germany and the Benelux countries.
Rocrail - Copyright
Rocrail - Disclaimer
Using this program is at your own risk.
Robert Jan Versluis can not be held responsible for any damage that the use of this program may cause to your computer, model trains or anything else.
To prevent problems it is strongly recommended to first read the manual.